Monday, March 22, 2010

Passport and Visa in Hand

God bless the U. S. Postal Service!  I called on Saturday, and the person with whom I spoke was calm and reassuring.  He also told me to call back on Monday.  When I called this morning, I spoke with a different person who was less assuring: "Well, let me see if I can catch your carrier . . . .  Yes, it's here."  I started to laugh, then I started to shake, then offered to smooch her on the cheek, I was so grateful.  She was rather detached in her reply: "Just pick it up at the front desk, Mr. Kuhne."  Waiting for travel documents is a bit like holding one's breath for a very, very long time.  I'm glad it's in my travel pouch!

I leave this evening at 1940.  My flight stops in Chicago, then to Istanbul, and finally to Tblisi (I'll have the same flights in reverse on my return trip).  I arrive in Tblisi Wednesday morning at 0340.  Oh, the jet lag! 

I wrote to Julie and Ala, the sponsoring agents of my trip, of my good fortune, and Ala's reply suggests that they were as relieved as I am.  Vali, my sponsor when I visit Ganje, Azerbaijan, sent me an email this morning wishing me Happy Novruz, which involves colored eggs, fires, and dancing in the fires.  Vali is 23 years old, and he has been a gracious and willing corespondent these past six weeks.  I look forward to meeting him.

I still have quite a bit to do before I leave for the airport, so I will keep this short.  I'll write more later today if I have the chance. 

2 comments:

  1. Michael

    I'm so glad to hear that everything arrived in time! I've shared your blog with a few other interested folks, so know that your insight and experiences are providing respite to those of us in the corporate world!

    Juli

    ReplyDelete